From the November 2007 Idaho Observer:
An unofficial majority of Americans want to impeach Cheney
An unofficial majority of Americans want to impeach Cheney
H. Res. 333, Articles of Impeachment Against Dick Cheney, was initially introduced on April 24, 2007, by Rep. Dennic Kucinich and had 12 co-sponsors by July. It was reintroduced on Nov. 6, 2007, as H. Res. 799, and was sponsored by the following Members of Congress: Jan Schakowsky, Maxine Waters, Hank Johnson, Keith Ellison, Lynn Woolsey, Barbara Lee, Albert Wynn, William Lacy Clay, Dennis Kucinich, Yvette Clarke, Jim McDermott, Jim Moran, Bob Filner, Sam Farr, Robert Brady, Tammy Baldwin, Donald Payne, Steve Cohen, Sheila Jackson Lee, Carolyn Kilpatrick, Ed Towns, Diane Watson, Danny Davis.
Three main charges listed in H. Res. 799 justifying impeachment -
1. Cheney has purposely manipulated the intelligence process to deceive the citizens and Congress of the United States by fabricating a threat of Iraqi weapons of mass destruction to justify the use of the United States Armed Forces against the nation of Iraq in a manner damaging to our national security interests.
2. Cheney purposely manipulated the intelligence process to deceive the citizens and Congress of the United States about an alleged relationship between Iraq and al Qaeda in order to justify the use of the United States Armed Forces against the nation of Iraq in a manner damaging to our national security interests.
3. Cheney has openly threatened aggression against the Republic of Iran absent any real threat to the United States, and done so with the United States’ proven capability to carry out such threats, thus undermining the national security of the United States.
Documentation of charges at ImpeachCheney.org
Additional charges not mentioned in H.Res. 799:
4. Cheney led a campaign of retribution against whistleblower Joseph Wilson, including the outing of a covert CIA operative, Valerie Plame.
5. Cheney led efforts to torture terror suspects.
6. Cheney played a key role in setting up illegal spying programs.
7. Cheney led manipulation of pre-war intelligence.
8. Cheney created the secret Energy Task Force which operated in defiance of open-government laws.
9. Cheney’s lawyer, David Addington, advocated the "Unitary Executive Theory" which is used by the White House to defy laws duly enacted by Congress and thereby justify dictatorial action.
10. Cheney directed massive no-bid contracts to his company, Halliburton, and profitted from the same illegal war he defrauded the American public to launch.
11. Cheney increased the danger of climate change -Bypassed Environmentally ‘Clueless’ Bush To Craft Administration’s Climate Change Agenda.
12. Cheney pressured federal energy regulators to conceal evidence of widespread market manipulation by energy companies during the California electricity crisis in 2001.
There was a flurry of activity Nov. 6, after Rep. Kucinich reintroduced the bill to impeach vice-President Cheney. Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-MD) moved to "table" H.Res 799 as "privileged matter." The tabling issue was put to a vote. Congress voted 218-194 against tabling. H. Res. 799 has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee.
According to the website, ImpeachCheney.org, a project of AfterDowningStreet.org, 54 percent of Americans want Cheney impeached, and 64 percent of Vermonters.
What we can do to
hasten H.Res 799 out of committee and onto the House floor for a vote:
1. Request that your U.S. Rep. support impeachment proceedings against Cheney.
2. Utilize the tools—contacts, addresses, flyers, pamphlets, postcards, petitions and other items—available at the www.impeachcheney.org website.
3. Become familiar with the charges against Cheney and the impeachment process. Talk about impeachment with everyone you know and write letters demanding impeachment to your local newspaper editor for publication.
4. For those who don't have computers, commission the help of someone who does or go see your reps in person, call them on the phone and write them letters.
We are the majority. As we are seeing with the Ron Paul Revolution, we are the "sleeping giant"—we are the adults not registered to vote; the ones who gave up voicing our dissent because it seemed to accomplish nothing but irritate friends and family.
The evidence shows that Cheney has committed innumerable criminal acts and is responsible for the misery and deaths of millions and racketeering on a scale that boggles the mind. It is time for us, the until now silent majority, to stand up and be counted.
Model letter to members of Congress
I am alarmed at the numerous illegal actions by the Bush/Cheney administration, including the issuing of hundreds of "signing statements," their warrantless spying, torture and extraordinary rendition of prisoners, suspension of habeas corpus, the compromise of a covert CIA agent, defiance of both the United Nations and the Geneva conventions—and apparent lying in regards to all of the above, as well as many other serious issues.
With thirteen months remaining in which this rogue administration can do further grave harm to the nation, harm which even a future administration may be unable to right, I believe that action must be taken.
Because these illegal actions constitute an assault on the U.S. Constitution, and because of the administration’s refusal to respect Congress, the separation of powers or the rule of law, I believe that the only recourse is impeachment and removal of the President and Vice President.
I am writing to point out that, when you were sworn into office, you took an oath to defend the United States and its Constitution. I believe that the current, ongoing crisis compels you to act to uphold that oath, and that you are required to use your assigned powers and take all appropriate steps to defend against these threats to our nation and its system of government.
I wish to further specify that these issues, the defense of America, and any means used to halt these assaults, including impeachment, are non partisan, and should not be dictated by political expediency or strategy regarding elections, etc.
I again remind you that your oath makes it your duty to act in this matter, and to do so in the strongest possible way. I recommend that you do so by joining with the 85 cities that have approved resolutions calling for the investigation and impeachment of President Bush and Vice President Cheney.
Home - Current Edition
Advertising Rate Sheet
About the Idaho Observer
Some recent articles
Some older articles
Why we're here
Corrections and Clarifications
Vaccination Liberation - vaclib.org
The Idaho Observer
P.O. Box 457
Spirit Lake, Idaho 83869